Go Rith Beo! Local Kilkenny athletes and former rugby internationals launch annual Rith Beo Race.
Local athletes Eoin Everard and Joanne Cuddihy, as well as recent winning Camogie stars Niamh Deely and Michelle Teehan, launched the annual Rith Beo race at Gaelscoil Osraí on Friday morning.
Also in attendance were Affidea CEO Tom Finn and form Irish rugby internationals Mick Galway and David Corkery.
The Rith Beo event, sponsored by Affidea Ireland, Ireland’s leading diagnostic service provider, will take place on Sunday 28th May at 11am, beginning and concluding at the Gaelscoil in Loughboy. This year, the school has decided to make a donation from the funds raised to the Thomas Hayes Trust, which runs the invaluable Teac Tom service in Kilkenny. Teac Tom provides free counselling and therapy to adults and children and groups affected by suicide.
Now in its fifth year, more numbers than ever are expected to attend this year. There are plenty of reasons why:
• Rith Beo is one of the last of a number of great local races in the Spring / early Summer running season in Kilkenny – so whether you race this to get a new PB or are happy to say you finished the race, end the running season on a high! And remember the Kilkenny Road Race Series, the Searlait Tywang Memorial Road Run and the Stoneyford 10k are all still coming up to get some practice in before Rith Beo. Run local!
• Rith Beo has something for everyone – kids have a great, safe 3k run that is hugely popular with families and is a perfect race to get your child interested in running. The 5k and 10k chipped races are great for people with their own personal running challenge, with generous cash prizes for the winners and lots of spot prizes for other categories. For the second year running, there will be a 5km corporate team event sponsored by Michael Guiney’s Kilkenny where companies, shops, restaurants and sports clubs will actively compete against each other to secure the ultimate bragging rights in Kilkenny. This is a great event to build morale and teamwork within your business, so pick your 4 runners, make sure you have 1 lady and name your team.
• After the very successful Kilkenny City Harriers Streets of Kilkenny 5k this year, this is yet another chance to run the streets of Kilkenny. It’s a great safe route in the city and a chance to admire the lovely surroundings of Loughboy!
• There will be prizes for all finishers on the day. And Rith Beo has built up a great reputation for a fantastic spread of cakes, buns, sandwiches and drinks for after the race. So hang around, have a chat about how you got on and enjoy the sugar rush after all that exercise!
• Being out and about on a Sunday morning in May, mixing with your community and doing some exercise, getting family and friends involved – it’s the ethos of what Rith Beo is all about and its good for us all. So Bígí linn!
According to Seán Ó h-Argáin, Príomhoide, Gaelscoil Osraí: “Táimid ag tnúth go mór le Rith Beo 2017. Is lár-chuid de shaol ár scoilne anois í agus cuireann sé go mór le sláinte agus sonas ár bpáistí, foireann agus tuismitheoirí. As a health-promoting and active school we look forward to all our walkers and runners reaching their new milestones. In supporting Rith Beo we also thank all our sponsors and participants for helping all our children now and in the future reach their learning milestones in a state of the art library and learning space”.
At the launch, Tom Finn CEO of Affidea Ireland stated: “We are delighted to be able to support the Rith Beo Fun Run, and its cause, this year. The popularity of the event shows what a strong community Kilkenny has and we are pleased to be able to support the fundraising. We wish the event and every one participating every success.”
You can register online for this event by logging on to www.totaltiming.ie or alternatively at the Gaelscoil Osraí on the morning of the race. For more information, please check out Rith Beo Facebook page or on Twitter: @rithbeo
Contact Person: Philip O’Reilly on (087) 6805762 or email@example.com
Róisín Purcell on (087) 6775517 or firstname.lastname@example.org